- Taylor's Garden Buildings
- Choice of materials -locally
grown sustainable timber. Natural preservatives and treatment.
- Don't heat but do ventilate.
Solar control blinds.
- The conservatory should not
be heated for longer periods or to a higher temperature than
is really necessary.
If your conservatory is not occupied it should always be thermally
isolated from the house.
If long hours of occupancy and a space open to the house are
required, a conventional extension will be much less energy intensive.
The bigger the conservatory, the more heating it will require.
A large conservatory, even if it is only heated to 18°C,
can cost more to heat than the well-insulated modern house it
is attached to.
Make sure that the dwarf walls and base are insulated, and consider
the benefits of specifying low-e glass in the windows and an
improved standard of roof system.
Think about how to keep the conservatory comfortable in summer.
Limit the solar gain using solar control glazing or roof blinds,
and ensure that high rates of passive ventilation can be achieved.
-hi tech conservatories in aluminium and glass, made in Ashton
Oak -based in Totnes,
Devon, their websites has a huge gallery of completed projects
which are great to give some ideas.
Ash -western red cedar
greenhouses and glasshouses endorsed by the Royal Horticultural
- Richmond Oak
-individually designed hardwood conservatories and orangeries
in naturally-seasoned oak.
- Public Glasshouses to visit:
Project -Tim Smit's
ambitious project in Cornwall to construct biome conservatories
containing plants from the rainforests and the warm temperate
regions of the world.
-glasshouses at Kew Gardens, including the recently completed
Princess of Wales Conservatory.
- Sheffield Winter Garden -Pringle Richards Sharratt's spectacular
laminated timber glasshouse.
- Wisley Glasshouse -the newly built glasshouse at the RHS Garden
and tree houses:
- BaumRaum -uncompromisingly modern and startlingly
beautiful treehouses from Germany.
Forest -high quality
tree houses and eco lodges made in East Sussex.
House -African inspired
thatched garden enclosures, suitable for everything from dining
out to hot tubs.
- Ecopods -builders of environmentally sensitive
treehouses using timber from sustainable forests within Derbyshire's
- Great Escape Treehouse Company -bespoke treehouses, play structures
and log cabins made in East Sussex.
Shirt -low impact fantasy
eco cabins made by Grant Oatley from natural materials (straw
bale, turf roofs), plus home made furniture made from wood or
recycled materials and wood burning stoves made to order. Based
in North Devon, he also takes ommissions for alternative and
innovative artworks and structures.
Garden Pods -elegant
cubic structures in locally sourced timber, suitable as a summerhouse,
garden room, gazebo, retreat, sleepover space.
- The Treehouse Company -individually built treehouses by John Harris
in Ayrshire from £15,000 upwards.
- Willowbank -design and install living willow
structures and sculptures. Also run courses at Ragmans farm in
the Forest of Dean.
- Timber Intent
-modern eco friendly timber and tensile fabric outdoor structures
-generally used for public buildings, but they do have small
outdoor "sails" suitable for descked areas.
Don't forget that you may need
planning approval to erect an office or workshop in your garden
(see the Government's Planning
Guide for householders), and it will also affect the Council
Tax you pay. However, if you are lucky enough to have a largew
enough plot, then working from home can be one of the most sustainable
things you can do, with the attendant reduction in travel.
- A frame Architecture -founded by Jeffrey Dutt following his research
into timber frame building the practice has exhibited its innovative
sustainable garden buildings at Chelsea and other major garden
- Alternative Space
-insulated and sustainable garden rooms made in East Dulwich,
- Artisan Shepherds Huts -traditional wheeled shepherds huts made by
joiner Paul Smith in West Sussex.
-green-roofed cedar studios and garden structures developed in
collaboration with architectural practice Idris-Perrineau Town.
- Garden Escape
-contemporary garden rooms made from Structurally Integrated
Panel System (SIPS) clad in red cedar.
- Green Retreats
-simple elegant garden retreats manufactured in Gawcott, Buckinghamshire.
- Green Roof Garden Buildings -go one step further by using a sedum
roof that effectively replaces the green area your building takes
up -made in Trowbridge, Wiltshire.
sensitive interior furniture and garden retreats.
- Imicraft -north London company offering modern
studios and offices for the garden.
of an architect and joiner partnership, In.it provide garden
rooms and home offices in Leicester.
Out Buildings -quality,
eco-friendly timber frame garden offices, granny flats, and en-suite
studios made in Lancashire with eco friendly materials.
Lodge Company -tailor
made summerhouses, garden offices, follies, tree-houses or cabins
individually made in Richmond Upon Thames, Surrey.
Orb -spectacular oval
mobile structures suitable for use as garden buildings and holiday
- O-Pod -somewhay impractical, but fun, the
O-Pod was successfully featured on Dragons Den where the owners
did a deal with Theo Paphitis. They also manufacture the space-pod
in a more conventional rectangular format.
- Qube -timber clad garden buildings made
using structural insulated panels.
- Shedworking -a great blog with loads of illustrations
and ideas for anyone wanting to set up a business in the back
- Studioni -based in County Tyrone, Studio NI
have been producing sustainable garden rooms for 14 years.
Green -design and construction
of low impact, low energy garden offices and garden rooms in
-a Cheshire-based company specialising in the design, build and
installation of garden studios for the home or workplace.
garden buildings and sheds made using a modular structural insulated
- Butterfield Blacksmiths -authentic replica Dorset Shepherd Huts (and
other classic ironwork).
- Cat and Mouse Landscapes -the whole package -garden design. landscaping
and bright summerhouses; based in East Sussex.
- Classic Shed Company -unique summerhouses, gazebos sheds and huts
made in Norfolk using locally sourced materials.
Build -make a rather
elegant range of mini barns.
- Painted Pavillions -colourful painted timber summerhouses, sheds
- Scotts of Thrapston -long established joinery company that makes
summerhouses and pavillions in Europen Redwood as well as garages,
stables and other timber structures.
site with Google:
theHousePlanner | construction
| sustainability | gardening
| property | contact