- Listed below are a number
of places offering traing courses in aspects of sustainability
and self build. If you can get there, the Centre
for Alternative Technology offers a wide range of short residential
courses on environmental topics. Alternatively you can study
self build online through Mark Wicken's site Brick
- The Artful Bodger -the
site of Peter Murray who specialises in enjoyable woodland craft
courses. These courses are run under a roundwood timber framed
shelter in the beautiful Abbey Home Farm grounds. The vast majority
of the materials used on the courses are sourced from within
the sustainably managed woodlands of the farm. An organic, vegetarian
lunch is provided on all my courses.
-offers permaculture taster days as well as longer specialist
permaculture design courses.
Mill -offers one to three day courses in
Suffolk on rural and traditional crafts from breadmaking to strawbale
construction. They provide a friendly setting where people can
enjoy learning new skills, on a 70-acre organic farm in one of
Suffolk's beautiful secret valleys. Food is home-made and locally-sourced,
much of it grown in the kitchen garden.
- Brick and Mortar
-web-based self-build seminars from Mark Wickens based upon
his own year self build project in Ayreshire.
- Brighton Permaculture -run courses including straw bale
construction, green roofs, rammed earth, eco renovation, permaculture
- Centre for Alternative Technology -run residential short and post graduate
courses in environment and energy management.
- Extended Introduction to strawbale building and
- residential retreat in the South
of France offering courses in sustainability and permaculture
in the beautiful surroundings of the Cévennes National
Park, overlooking the Cèze River. The property is located
on a hilltop in eight acres of farm land encompassing a variety
of plants, herbs and trees, such as olive, almond, peach, plum,
mimosa, fig and apricot trees.
- Earth Hands and Houses -residential courses in strawbale, earthbag
and natural building based in Poland -combine your course with
-hands on workshops on building with cob.
- Earthworks Trust
-Hampshire's sustainability centre offers courses in a range
of sustainability topics, from permaculture to wattle and daub
- Ecos Trust -sustainable building and eco homes training
Dragon Energy -a range
of courses on renewable energy topics for individuals and groups
- Green Register -run a variety of courses on low carbon technologies,
including regular repeats of their introductory Sustainable Building
and Services course.
- Green Woodwork
-run by Gudrun Leitz in his own woodland -Clisset Wood, near
Ledbury in Herefordshire. Topics include chair-making, steam
bending, rush seating, sculptural furniture.
- Lower Shaw Farm
- offers weekend breaks, events and courses near Swindon for
adults and for families on subjects ranging from yoga to creative
- Low Impact Living Initiative -run courses on a wide range of topics
from smallholdings to natural building products.
- National Self Build and Renovation Centre -run a variety of courses for self
builders on topics ranging from finding a building plot to eco
- Patrick Whitefield Associates -courses in Permaculture based in
Gloucestershire and Somerset by Patrick and Cathy Whitefield
- The Renewables Academy in Berlin is offering a full range of introductory
and advanced courses on renewable energy technologies (technical
and non-technical aspects) and on energy efficiency.
- Rammed-Earth.org -two day courses on rammed earth on
the Norfolk Broads by Michael Thompson, who is author of a ebook
on the subject. Will arrange for accommodation in Bed and Breakfast
- Scandia Hus offer free monthly seminars on the various aspects
of the self-build process at their show home in East Grinstead,
- Schumacher College -short courses at Dartington Hall
near Totnes on a varety of topiucs ranging from environmental
issues to self build and ecology.
- Self Build Courses -from Homebuilding and renovation magazine,
courses around the country -speakers include Mark Brinkley (author
of The Housebuilder's Bible) and David Snell (author of Building
Your Own Home).
-run courses on the repair and conservation of of old buildings.
- Threshold Centre
-a pioneering cohousing community and sustainable education centre
at Cole Street Farm in Dorset, which aims to demonstrate a way
of life which is more green, more affordable, and more neighbourly.
They hold co-housing workshops, gardening weekends and open days.
- Walter Segal Trust -self build and timber frame -short
introductory courses designed for anyone interested in self build.
charity on the Devon-Cornwall border, offering a host of weekend
courses in traditional country crafts, such as rush furniture,
basketwork, willow structures, dry stone walling, garden mosaics,
wattle & daub, straw bale building, lime rendering and herbal
site with Google:
theHousePlanner | construction
| sustainability | gardening
| property | contact