Paints, papers, plaster, colour
and decorative effects
- ecohomes + self build
and liquid applied finishes and stains
Some of the most damaging chemicals
are used in the manufacture of paints and preservatives -do look
out for the label to see just how toxic the product actually
is. On the whole water based paints are better than oil based
ones, but ideally you might source your paints from one of the
natural paint providers - try Auro
Organic , Earthborn,
Wye or Nutshell
If you are choosing colours,
both Crown and Dulux have comprehensive colour
guides online, but remember that computer rendition of colours
can be pretty poor, and varies hugely between traditional flat
screens and traditional screens. There is no substitute for getting
a sample pot. If you have a particular need in colour, or need
the right scheme for an historic building, then Papers
and Paints in London are an excellent place to start.
- Auro Organic Paint -suppliers of paint made entirely from natural
and organic materials.
Paints -lots on use
of colour and decorating techniques.
- Crown Trade
-historic colours recreated in association with the RIBA historic
- Duluxtrade - expert advice and paint solutions
from this major manufacturer.
- Dulux -ICI paints, decorating ideas and
colour scheming tools.
-an environmentally friendly range of paints free from Volatile
Organic Compounds for interior and exterior use. Featured in
the Grand Designs episode with the modernist house of Pru Irvine
and husband Richard , they have been widely used in eco projects
ranging from Bedzed to Moss Grove organic hotel.
- Eco Solutions paint stripping without dangerous solvents.
-suppliers for Livos paints -based on a selection of around 150
renewable raw materials and completely biodegradable substances
chosen to have low environmental impact..
of traditional papers and paint.
Earth -they do paints
as well as tiles!
- Hammerite -specialist paint for metal surfaces.
- Ieko -stockists of non toxic paints and
- International paints -speciality paints, project guides and paint
- Little Greene Paint Company -locally manufactured environmentally
friendly paints and papers. their paint palette includes historic
colours, researched with English Heritage, as well as some striking
Wye -Natural building
and decorating products.
- Nutshell Paints -decorating ideas and recipes with natural paints.
to do with paint and colour from this Canadian site.
- Paint Quality Institute -comprehensive and expert source of information
and advice on all issues surrounding paint, paint quality, and
and Paints -are a small
London-based company specialising in many aspects of paint and
- Rohm and Haas
-Paint Quality is a neutral advisory service aimed at DIY painters
of all experience levels, designed to give advice on how to get
a great paint finish. Sections include: problem solver, cost
calculator, trends prediction service, paint type guide.
- Rustins -paints, dyes and varnishes.
- St Astier
-soft breatable lime paint from Lime Green.
- Sandtex.co.uk -guide to exterior paintwork.
- Unibond -interesting site about adhesives
- Green Building Store -a useful article on toxins in traditional
- Albi Coatings
-intumescent flame retardent coatings for the protection of timber
Timber Protection -formerly
known as Hicksons, they do a range of preservative, fire retardent
and decorative finishes.
- Mylands -John Myland Limited have specialised
in the manufacture of high quality wax polishes, paints, lacquers,
stains and shellac polishes since 1884.
- Osmo -natural oil wax timber finishes.
- Ronseal -woodcare products, stains and speciality
- Sadolin -the big name in interior and exterior
wood protection -stains, oils, varnishes and preservatives.
contractors and designers
- Dancing Decor
-specialise in murals, home decorating and colour schemes using
Self Coat Eco Paints. Commissions taken in the London area on
any subject matter, on any scale and in any setting.
- Hart Projects
-childrens rooms -murals and paintings.
- Paint Stripping Service -Tracey offers a range of paintstripping services
and will take on almost any kind of on site paintstripping.
- Painted Interiors
-founded by French Designer Isabelle Morley-Fletcher who specialises
in styling and decorating with a particular focus on paint textures
and colours, varying from contemporary to country looks.
- Perfect Painting Company -decorating and painting properties in the West
Kent, East Sussex and Surrey area. Useful hints and tips.
- S2 decorating
-provides interior and exterior decorating for residential and
commercial clients in London.
- British Gypsum
-the leading manufacturer of plasterboard -huge amount of information
on wall linings, partitions and ceilings, including the renowned
- Building Conservation.com -article on traditional lime plaster:
myths, preconceptions and the relevance of good practice.
-offer hands-on training courses in Lime plastering at their
centre in the French Pyrenees.
- Glaster -a unique plaster made from lime and
-teach me DIY -plastering
-French manufacturer of dry wall and plasterboard systems.
- Lime Green
-ecological hemp and lime plasters and eco render finishes.
- London Plastercraft -specialist plastering company, carrying out
all types interior and exterior moulded work including restoration
and cleaning of cornices, ceilings and ornate plaster work.
Effects -high quality
water based decorative paint effects and Italian polished plaster
by Stucco Italiano -based in Co Tyrone.
site with Google:
theHousePlanner | construction
| sustainability | gardening
| property | contact