- The furniture industry is
truly appalling in terms of sustainability -do try to buy furniture
that is not made from dwindling tropical hardwood stocks and
shipped halfway round the world -timber sources should be FSC
Certified by the Forestry Stewardship
Council. Ask to see the details of origin and certification
-that will cause some retailers to stop and think.
- Being sustainable is not just
a case of avoiding uncertified tropical hardwoods -there are
a number of very good designers specialising in furniture made
from recycled materials or renewable components, such as David Colwell or Roy Tam. Other sites
featuring environmentally sustainable furniture are highlighted
Suppliers and makers:
hand-made sculptural furniture in native british hardwoods sourced
from sustained woodlands, from Yorkshire based furniture maker/designer
Allan Lake (see illustration).
- aspace -solid wood furniture especially for
desgned Shaker tables, chairs, cabinets and beds.
-high quality contemporary furniture for the modern home. Attractive
range of sofas, dining and living furniture from European manufacturers.
- Cappelini -designer furniture from Milan
- Chaplins -designer furniture from Acerbis,
Cappellini, Cassina, Cor, Desalto, Edra, Emmemobili, Fritz Hansen,
Flos, Fiam, Giorgetti, Hulsta, Interlubke, Kartell, Ligne, Roset,
Magis, Miele, Mobileffe, Moroso, Nakamichi, Naos, NZO, Poltrona,
Porada, Rolf Benz, Scmitt, Tonelli, and many more.
- clothuk.com - bespoke furniture design service
that will put any design or image you have onto a range of products
from Chaise Longues to cushions.
- Conran -exclusive online collection featuring
thoughtfully designed and beautifully made products.
- Della-Porta -specialists in Japanese and Contemporary
style furniture and interiors.
- Eco Home Store -aims to make sustainability fun with home accessories
and gifts from natural, sustainable and recycled sources.
- Ecowork -office furniture systems from sustainable
-now here's a unique idea -you select your flat packed furniture
from the Ikea, Habitat, B&Q or Argos catalogue, and they
will collect, deliver and assemble the item for you.
-environmentally friendly, cardboard chairs for children to play
with, make & decorate.
Bean Bags -UK supplier
of leatherette beanbags - available in a huge variety of sizes
and in over 20 Colours.
shop -beds, sofa beds,
futons and mattresses.
- Gazeburvill -exceptional and unique outdoor oak
and stainless steel furniture made in Hampshire and sold from
their workshops in London.
- Gunpowder House
-old curiosities for your kitchen, bathroom, attic or garden.
sensitive domestic interior furniture and garden buildings.
- Ikea -budget flat pack furnishings from
the Swedish store -don't forget your allen key!
- Vintage mid 20th century furniture and lighting, including
renowned design and unique items.
- Jam -playful and imaginative re-use of
- Habitat -designer furniture from the leading
high street store.
- Hamilton Fraser
-independent supplier of office furniture.
- Harmer -modern designer furniture, lighting
and accessories from the Kings Road, London.
- Harrold -contemporary furniture (Nicehouse
up to 2001)
- Heals -stylish, contemporary design for
nearly 200 years.
- Inside Originals
-Vintage mid 20th century furniture and lighting, including renowned
design and unique items.
- Italcomma -supply Italian furniture to the UK
market -kitchen/dining chairs and tables, bathroom furniture
and a range of quality glass furniture.
- JBF Furniture & Carpets -discounts on bedroom suites, dining suites,
sofas and furniture for the home.
- Lavender and Sage
-French style country home decor and interiors, with an interesting
range of furniture, plus living, dining and bathroom accessories.
- Lesley & Newton -fantastic handcrafted bespoke reversible dining/game
tables with indoor croquet or table footie games.
designer furniture from France.
Alcove Company -alcove
cabinets, wardrobes, cupboards and bookcases.
- Malcolm Baker
-designs and builds high-quality, individually made furniture
lighting based on sustainable small batch-production from his
workshop in the Vale of Pewsey.
Dodge Furniture -makers
and restorers of fine English furniture, they sell throughout
the world, furnishing, hotels, superyachts, embassies, boardrooms,
furniture made from water hyacinth klabang, rattan, banana leaf,
seagrass or solid wood.
Heights -solid wood
furniture from New England and elsewhere in oak, cherry, walnut
Hennessy -one of London's
leading showrooms of contemporary furniture.
- One Eco Home
-sustainable design with style -founded in early 2007 by interior
designer Helen Mudie and sustainable design consultant Kate Millbank
One Eco offers a range of contemporary furniture that both looks
good and is good for the planet. Useful guide on selecting eco
Waterbeds -based in
Ely, Cambridgeshire, they specialise in waterbeds and spa baths.
- Parc Design Studio -provides a range of contemporary upholstered
furniture design and build services for manufacturers, architects,
specifiers and interior designers.
Design Classics -Brighton
based shop selling furniture, lighting, glass, ceramics and other
items of original Twentieth Century Design.
- Reel Furniture -tables and benches made from recycled cable
- reestore -takes everyday waste objects such
as wheelbarrows and washing machine drums, and turns them into
interesting, functional pieces of furniture.
- Roy Tam Design -eco furniture in ash by award winning designer
- Sasha la Croix -bespoke furniture that sets out to be not only
superior in quality and design, but sensitive for the environment
- Smith & Rodger -a family business that has been manufacturering
woodfinishes in Glasgow for over 130 years -French polishes,
coatings, lacquers and stains.
Circle -the Atom unique
circular shelving system.
- The Alcove Company -offer bespoke made-to-measure fitted furniture
to solve your storage problems and maximise storage space
in your home while being sympathetic to its original features. Offering
organic paint and varnish finishes.
-eco furniture made from forest thinnings designed by David Colwell.
- Victoria Woodturning - hand and copy lathe turning -staircase spindles,
newel posts, canopy support posts, bar & shopfitting components,
bed posts (Including four posters), table & stool Legs, table
lamps, candlesticks, plant stands, bowls, barley twist, reeded
& fluted items.
- Vitra -for over 50 years manufacturers of
the furniture designed by Charles and Ray Eames, Vitra now provides
a range of furniture by other designers and architects.
Empire -bespoke dining
and bedroom furniture in oak and ash.
-contemporary furniture made from sustainable Scottish hardwood.
- Cushions online
-mid to top end cushions and soft furnishings which are discontinued.
fabrics fore children's rooms.
items, prints, accessories etc
- Alessi -designers objects from this world
famous collection, including Starck, Graves, Gehry and Foster.
French -fabrics, lace
- Living Heaven - Luxuries for the home at competitive
prices -fans to Mackintosh Chairs.
- Malcolm Seal
-wicker baskets made from willow grown in his own willow bed
in the Bride Valley, near Bridport.
-Scented Flowers, natural in texture colour and scent. Delivered
nationwide Tuesday to Saturday.
- Rennie Mackintosh Store -clocks, glassware, frames, jewellery and other
gifts designed by the Scottish Architect.
-the UK's leading commercial contemporary interior design exhibition.
- Design Museum
-one of London's most inspiring attractions. Concerned as much
with the future as the past, a programme of critically acclaimed
exhibitions captures the excitement of design's evolution, ingenuity
and inspiration through the twentieth and twenty-first centuries.
and Albert -The V&A
is the greatest museum of applied and
decorative arts in the world -including fashion and textiles,
sculpture, ceramics and glass, metalwork, silver and jewellery,
furniture, photography and paintings.
- Vitra -shop at the Design Museum.
site with Google:
theHousePlanner | construction
| sustainability | gardening
| property | contact