Tiles and Slate | Thatch
| Timber Shingles | Flat
Roofing | Green Roofs | Lead | Ventilation
+ Accessories | Guttering |
Sheet Cladding | Insulation
| Timber Frame|
Guttering and Rainwater
- Rainwater goods are traditionally
available in metal (cast iron more recently aluminium and copper)
alond with plastics (avoid upvc if possible). Galvanised and
self finished materials are generally more easily recycled and
lower maintenance in use.
- The most sustainable way of
dealing with water is using a sustainable drainage system (SUDS)
to hold it as long as possible with a gradual run-off -this can
be achieved using a green roof.
- Of course, rainwater can be
stored for use on the garden or used in applications such as
toilet flushing -for more about rainwater harvesting see our
grey water page.
- For areas surrounded by trees
you will need to think about cleaning and maintenance -this may
involve protection of gutters with wire mesh, or wider than usual
guttering to facilitate cleaning.
-leading manufacturer of aluminium guttering and downpipes available
in a variety of profiles from contemporary to heritage.
- CoppaGutta -manufacturers and suppliers of copper
- GreenSpec -their spec notes on green rainwater systems
-including materials to avoid.
of a clip on mesh system to protect your gutters from blockage.
Based in Grimsby, but order online.
-manufacture profiled aluminium gutters and rainwater goods together
with matching fascia and soffit trims for commercial use.
- Hargreaves Foundry -traditional cast iron rainwater and soil pipework
- Hunter Plastics
-domestic rainwater goods, soil and waste pipes and underground
- Lead Sheet Association -some excellent guidance notes and details online
for lead gutter construction.
Wavin -plastic rainvater
goods -guttering, pipes, traps, overflows etc along with soil
and vent pipework.
- Rainclear -specialists in cast iron and aluminium
- Tuscan Foundry
-cast iron guttering (as well as conservation rooflights and
Rainguard -GRP, Aluminium,
and Cast Iron rainwater systems.
- See also our page on Grey